Friday 25 January 2019

Be Our Guest - Catering for the National TV Awards


Its not just about the discos – when I am not DJing I work freelance through a major hospitality staffing agency, and have done since 2014.  In that time I have been privileged to work in some incredible venues, at amazing events for some wonderful clients


One of my favourite jobs is the National TV Awards (NTAs).  This annual televised event is catered by a client with whom I have worked many times before – and this year was my third time at this event over the past 4 years.  Once again the client requested me specifically for a supervisory role in the team.

The client is a company called GIG, responsible for catering some of the biggest events in the world, but they are a fabulous, friendly team.  At the NTAs GIG provide their service to a variety of areas backstage, with the largest being the pre-show reception/post show party for the nominees.  We provide food and bar to around 500 guests pre show and 800 or more post show – and these guests are the ones that you saw on TV hoping to win, and winning, the coveted awards, voted for by the viewing public.



So – what do I do? With a colleague I am responsible for setting up and running the two bars and two champagne receptions, and then clearing down at the end of the night. Sounds straightforward?  On top of this I am also personally responsible for the Responsible Service of Alcohol as the duty licensee.  Add in staff allocation, briefing and management, ensuring that the right stock and right glassware is in place, that the bars are ready for service and then made ready again for the second party and that the necessary clearing is done across the whole room, and provide support to our amazing Back of House manager. Then of course there is liaison with the event manager from the TV production company, the venue staff and the venue security and medical team.



Just when you might think it sounds simple – I also take responsibility for stopping bar service at exactly 7:15 pm, which gives sufficient time to move 500 guests across to the arena for a live TV broadcast, and then closing two bars at the end of service at 12:30am  Closing a bar is never an easy or popular job, made a bit more challenging when the guests are faces that you may have been seeing on TV for thirty or more years, and many guests with potentially a feeling that they are particularly important…. 


In addition(!) I walked the whole room constantly to keep my manager informed of how the event was running while she was based back of house.

The NTAs is a long day.  I arrived on site at midday on Tuesday, and left the o2 car park at 2:30am Wednesday – a fourteen and a half hour day, but I walked away with my head up knowing that we, as a team, provided a fantastic service to a room full of celebrity guests. The end of a day is a mixture of deep tiredness and absolute elation at a job well done





No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding

Wedding
Elegant wedding set up at Stanbrook Abbey