Friday 20 November 2020

I Want to Meet The Bride

When I am providing my services as the concierge at a beautiful country hotel, I often greet brides who are having a meeting with the wedding planners at the hotel, or having a walk round with the photographer to discuss the best photo locations (tip – always ask the concierge!) or, recently, a chat with their florist about table centrepieces, decorations etc.

As you progress through your wedding planning you will visit the dress shop for several fittings, perhaps have a menu tasting, a hair and make-up trial, a rehearsal of the wedding ceremony.

But at what point did you meet with and get to know your evening entertainer?

Yes, “get to know”.  Do they have an understanding of you, your wedding day, how you want it to go? Do you know about them, their style?  Have you discussed your expectations of the day, of the entertainment?  How will they start the evening, end the evening?  Have they understood your expectations, and have they explained to you how they can be met?

I read Facebook pages and trade magazines aimed at DJs, and a frequent topic that comes up is what the DJs describe as demanding brides.  Long music request lists, unrealistic timescales, plans that simply won’t work.  You will have heard the expression “Bridezilla”!

I can genuinely say that in the years since I became a professional wedding DJ rather than just a hobbyist (some 25 years ago!) I have never had a Bridezilla. Not one.  Am I just being nice?  No, I’m being honest.

By meeting with every single bride and groom – in person by preference or by telephone/zoom call if needs must – I make sure that I understand what the vision of the wedding day is.  My meetings will last an hour plus, because I will go through every element of the day – note it, make suggestions if appropriate and ensure I “get it”.  By ensuring that I know the timings of the day I can plan my arrival, set up, even when I get changed. I can tailor my service to your special day, dovetailing with and complementing all the plans and details.

  • Too many song requests?  Let’s have a chat about how I can ensure as much of your music as possible gets played (whilst still having freedom to react to your guests).
  • Very short turnaround time? We can discuss ways to mitigate that.

I could suggest that too many people attach too little importance to planning the evening entertainment (and indeed, and extras during the day), but sadly that seems to include DJs too.  Even after 32 years, I know that I could not just rock up and DJ your wedding.  Every wedding is different, every wedding is unique.

 

That’s why I always want to Meet The Bride

(with apologies to Elton John!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding

Wedding
Elegant wedding set up at Stanbrook Abbey