Tuesday 13 November 2018

Ch-Ch-ch-ch-Changes


I passed a major milestone this weekend – I DJ’d a full 4+ hour party without using any CDS. For the first time the disco was 100% laptop driven.  I’ve resisted the switch until recently, but I am finally (almost) a convert.  I say “almost” because until I’m totally comfortable with the reliability of laptops I will continue to have CDs available as a backup



This step made me think about the changes to the equipment I have used since starting out in 1988, as a fresh faced 19 year old.  It all began with a traditional (for the time) “twin decks” console, some traffic lights and a pair of speakers. The speakers are still in my garage, but all the rest is long gone (which is a shame really, I’d love to play with that console again!)


After a few years (I have no recollection how many) I upgraded to a separates system a air of turntables mounted wither side of a proper mixer in a long “coffin case”.  The mixer served me for years, even after moving to CDs.  This set up allowed much better control for mixing scratching and drop-ins.  I can still remember the first (and best) mix – “Joy and Pain” into….”Joy and Pain”.  Two different versions, mixed to perfection - as much by luck as judgement I’m sure, although it was quite achievable using vinyl!


The move to CDs was as gradual as my current move to laptop, and was made quite tough by the lack of flexibility – having to physically balance a domestic style cd player within reach while still using the turntables!

Now it is all easier, even the CD rig is totally flight-cased and easy to use, store, transport and set up, and even the laptops have separate controllers that mimic the kit we have used for years.  Lighting effects to have become far more sophisticated and controllable, using LED allows a huge range of colours, and a whole lighting show can now be controlled from a smartphone

Even the advertising has changed – now I have various social media platforms as well as the website (www.silverball-leisure.co.uk)which is entirely self-built, reflecting the ethos of Silverball Leisure – personal but professional.

Times move on and so do I – but it is fun to look back and what I used to use, and what I used to wear! (man, I LOVED that dress shirt!)


Personal-Passionate -Professional

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding

Wedding
Elegant wedding set up at Stanbrook Abbey